The Emotional Quilt Ordeal that was a Blessing in Disguise

I just don't know where to start with my latest sewing/quilting experience.  My emotions and self esteem were crushed, then I got angry, then I vented to my Facebook group and fellow quilters, then I accepted it for what it was, learned from the experience and moved on.
 

Disappearing 9 Patch                                      Sunset                                          Magic Diamonds

What happened?
  • I sold the above Queen Size Disappearing 9 Patch Quilt top for $125 to a local church quilting guild for them to quilt and auction at their annual picnic.  It would be one of many - its a thing around here.  Since they liked it, they asked me to call when I had other tops completed.  
  • I called them when I had the above Queen Size Sunset Quilt completed and one of the quilters picked it up for $125.  
  • I called them when I had the above Queen Size Magic Diamonds top done.  The quilting lady stated that one of the quilters didn't like the bright colors on the Sunset top and wanted to know if they could exchange it for the Magic Diamonds top so I said sure.
  • When they come to exchange the Sunsut Quilt for the Magic Diamonds Quilt, they asked where I bought my fabric.  I told them that I buy my fabric mostly from JoAnns and my scrap quilts come from my stash which could be from anywhere.  They informed me that they buy their fabric at a local specialty quilt shop.  I told them if I bought specialty fabric I wouldn't be making a top for $125 because it would cost me that in fabric.  
  • It ended up with me refunding them the $125 for the Sunset Quilt and them not taking the Magic Diamond quilt because they didn't like the fabric quality and they went on to say they didn't think the Sunset Quilt would bring much at the Auction.  At this point I was crushed.  They made me feel like my quilts were not worthy.  I specifically bought the Sunset pattern which I never buy patterns and usually just figure the pattern out, but I thought the quilt was so pretty I just had to have it.  I almost hesitated selling it, but figured I could make myself another one at a later date.
  • Insult on top of injury, they then showed me some of their specialty fabric and asked if I would make a Trip Around The World Quilt for them out of their fabric which cost $111 and they wanted to know how much I would charge to sew together the top.  It was all I could do to hold my tongue at this point.  I'm sure I had about that much invested in fabric in the Disappearing 9 Patch and the Sunset Quilt and didn't they realize I was practically donating the tops to them for their picnic quilt auction.  I told them, I'd want at least $10 to $15 per hour to cut and sew the top and that they probably couldn't afford my price and I politely turned them down.  I was thinking there is no way I could please these quilters and didn't want my heart broken again.  I don't think I will be doing business with them again!
What did I learn?
  • I learned to love my new cutting tool.
  • I learned I can't make a quilt top without my design wall.
  • The heart is a fragile thing and words can hurt and people can be rude - but then again, I guess I've always known this.
  • Not everyone likes the same quilts.  Some people like old fashioned quilts, some like embroidery quilts, some like applique quilts, some like scrap quilts, some people like quilts with expensive fabric and then there are others that like modern quilts.  I personally like them all because they are made with love and they all look beautiful to me!!!  I have quilts from my grandma, great-grandma, mother-in-law and my daughter that are invaluable to me and I will treasure them always - they are my favorite quilts!!!  I always cry when someone gives me a quilt because even though I make quilt tops, I've never made one for myself and am over the moon then someone gifts one to me that they made because I know how much work goes into them!!!
What was the Blessing in Disguise?
  • Thanks to my Facebook Quilting Group, I now have self confidence in the quality of my sewing skills, quilt pattern choices and color selections.  I got passed the crushed feeling and the anger and hold no ill will to the quilters who rejected my quilts - chips on shoulders just weigh you down.  I try to keep myself surrounded with positive people and thoughts.  You all are so Awesome!!!
  • It ended up that someone from my Facebook Quilting group liked my Sunset quilt top enough to offer to purchase it for more than the $125 I was charging the local quilting ladies and I also got an offer to make another Sunset top for a Facebook friend that saw my post in England.  Therefore, financially I'm coming out ahead and learned that I'm not charging enough for my tops and that my time is precious and valuable and not to sell myself short!
  • I learned that I should trust people more that there are still good people in this world.  I couldn't believe someone would just send me a PayPal payments and trust me to mail the quilt top to them.  I had never done a PayPal payment and shipped a quilt top so that was a 1st for me and opened up all sorts of future possibilities for me.  

Have a great day and keep on keeping on.  You and your work are beautiful!!!


No comments

Back to Top