Works of Heart - The Rewards of Sewing with Family


I don't belong to a quilt guild, but what I do belong to is a great family who share my interest for sewing!





I happened to mention to my sister-in-law that I was going to sew these awesome swim bags for my grand-kids for Easter.  She reminded me of some previous bags I made years ago for all the kids on my husband's side and said, "I bet all the grand-kids, nieces/nephews would love them".  Well that snowballed into a sewing day with my daughter, mother-in-law, sister-in-law and 13 year old niece.


the MAGNIFICENT Wonder Clips
My niece is just getting into sewing and I thought what better way to test out my swim bag pattern which I consider to be for a beginner sewer.  She didn't have any issues at all and was thrilled to take home the pattern so she can make some swim/sports bags for her friends.  I also gifted them with some Wonder Clips which they hadn't used before and they loved them as much as I love them.  We was sewing with nylon and clips work much better than pins and don't make holes!


I was worried about my choice of fabric (nylon, cargo mesh and pet screen) and whether or not it would be hard for beginners to sew with.  I chose these particular fabrics because I wanted to be able to use the bags for swim bags, but also wanted them sturdy.  The nylon PUL was chosen because its waterproof.  It slides around but the wonder clips kept everyone in check. 



We ended up sewing, eating, laughing and telling stories!!!  It's always a good time when we get together with family.  All in all, we made 4 bags on our get together and I think I've made over 30 all together !!!  Lots of grand-kids, nieces and nephews!!!  They really are pretty easy to make and also pretty cheap.

 I can't wait to see what they look like after the grand-kids have had a chance to use the fabric pens on the white canvas and add their artistic touch to their bag.  I haven't decided if I'm going to buy water bottles to put in them or not yet.

Also, what would a fun day of sewing be without a little dress up time and silliness!!!  The grand-kids love to play dress-up while we sew!!!


No comments

Back to Top